02 March 2007

Take Me On a Magical Mystery Tour

First off, let me send love and cheer to "N," who just keeps posting the nicest comments here.

So... yesterday I spent the day with my friend Adam. We ate southern food in three different restaurants and talked about our experiences, and then I turned the entire day into a pithy little story about Dixie culture in NYC that will appear in the summer of issue of "Sights," the in-flight magazine for ATA Airlines.

But don't worry... I don't use any space in the article to describe how sick I felt after eating three meals' worth of fried. And yes, I do mean "fried" as a noun. Specifying that I ate "fried chicken" would imply that other things on my plate weren't fried, and that just wasn't the case. I think even the red velvet cake was fried. By the end of this little adventure, my brain certainly was.

As we were walking off some of the 8,000 calories we consumed, Adam and I started talking about music, and he threw down a bit of a gauntlet for me.

"Mark," he said, "You should really know more about The Beatles. Like their more obscure songs. They're great, and I think you'd enjoy them."

It's true. I don't know that much about The Fab Four. I mean, obviously I know "Yesterday" and "Paperback Writer" and "Hey Jude" and the other 20 Beatles songs you can't avoid if you grow up as a hearing person in the Western world. But the album cuts? Not so much. I've just never walked down that long and winding road, if you will.

However, I'm willing to travel. After all, if Elton John's old album tracks can be so awesome (and they are!), then the same might be true of the mop toppers.

Which leads me to a question for all of you: Where should I begin? I need, like, four or five songs to get me started. Suggestions? Anything I should avoid?

All your help in my Beatle-fication is greatly appreciated.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,
Here are five songs to download that I think you will like. Listen to them in this order:

1. Baby You're A Rich Man.
2. Helter Skelter (it's the most rockin' of all the Beatles Songs, and it inspired Charles Manson!)
3. You Never Give Me Your Money
4. I'm Looking Through You
and, of course, their epic Sgt. Pepper album closer which, I think, is the most powerful of all the Beatles songs. It's mysterious and beautiful and separately showcases the two talents that made the Beatles so unique: Lennon (who does the opening and the ending part) and McCartney (who does the middle section). It's fantastic:
5. A Day in the Life

Enjoy!

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Addenda: Mark, I just tried to import "A Day in the Life" from my Sgt. Pepper CD and b/c my CD is scratched it crashed my iTunes. So I went on Limewire to find it and be warned: many of the versions that pop up are from the new Cirque Du Soleil inspired album "Love." You want the track from the original Sgt. Pepper. Good thing I caught that!

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not that much up on the Beatles myself, but I did just succumb to my Amazon wish list and buy Enoch Light's "Beatles Classics."

It's a hoot. "Hey Jude" in the style of Ravel's "Bolero" is very interesting.

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The White Album, especially the first part, was my favorite in high school, and it is still a special favorite. Let's start there.

Really the whole first part is terrific, but I suggest listening (or re-listening) to:

Back in the U.S.S.R.
Dear Prudence
Ob-la-di,-Ob-la-da
Happiness is a Warm Gun
I'm So Tired
Rocky Raccoon


Then check out Josh's favorite, Abbey Road, especially:

Come Together
Something
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Oh! Darling
She Came in THrough the Bathroom Window
Golden Slumbers
Carry that Weight

Other tracks our family listens to right now:
Got to Get You Into My Life
Twist and Shout (because Lucy likes it)

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

I am so thrilled that you are finally willing to see the light.

Listen to "Things We Said Today", "Norwegian Wood", "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away", "You Know My Name", and "Act Naturally" for starters.

As you know, the next time that you are home we have a treasure trove of Beatles songs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home