29 April 2007

I'm just Idlewild for Douglas

For those of you who have been worrying--sending cards and flowers and limericks--I'm happy to announce that I have a new iPod. He even plays video!

Yes, I said "he." His name is Douglas. It just seemed to fit.

Recently, Douglas has been repeating the tracks on "Make Another World," the newest album by Scottish folk-poppers Idlewild.

Now I know what you're thinking: "Isn't 'Idlewild' the name of the disappointing film and even more lackluster album that brought a shockingly sudden end to OutKast's time of relevance?"

Well, yes.

But it's also the name of this band that I had never heard of until Entertainment Weekly gave "Make Another World" a good review a few weeks ago. The critic likens the group to R.E.M., which made me curious. I do so love my boys in Athens.

Turns out, it was a great comparison. If you have access to iTunes or some other music downloading site, listen to the sample of the song "No Emotion." Tell me that doesn't recall the nasally goodness of Michael Stipe!

To be honest, I'm not sure that Idlewild is wildly different from bouncy, guitar-fuzz-loving bands like Snow Patrol, Fountains of Wayne, and Interpol. But so what? You can't expect everyone to come along and revolutionize your concept of what good pop music can be. (You know, like The Postal Service did. Seriously, you guys. Me and Douglas got down to "Give Up" on the subway today. That album still blows my mind.)

Anyway, my point is that Idlewild is making music worth listening to. In a few weeks, I'll probably know their album well enough to suss out exactly what makes them different from those other bands I just mentioned. For now, though, I'm enjoying my first impression.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home