09 August 2006

Glory be! It's the free iTunes download!


Yet again this week, the free iTunes download is a great song. Who doesn't need the occasional dose of tuneful balladry, particularly when it includes phrases like "boy, don't be afraid to shake that ass?" No one!

That's right. No one.

And that's where "Sewn," by British quintet The Feeling, suits me well. (See how "sewn" and suits" go together? I was just watching Project Runway. Go Michael! Love the Pam Grier!)

Anyway, The Feeling. Listen closely to "Sewn." It sounds like the best Sheryl Crow song ever recorded, if Sheryl Crow were a winsome British man. (And marrying Lance Armstrong doesn't count. Just because he wins prizes in Europe doesn't mean he's British, y'all).

But no matter who they sound like, I never would've heard The Feeling if the folks at iTunes didn't hurl some freebies at me every Tuesday.

So here's a fun game for everyone with that omnipresent Apple software. What are the best songs you've discovered through the "Single of the Week" and "Discovery Download" features? The worst? Here are mine...

Best iTunes Freebies

"Over My Head (Cable Car)" by The Fray -- Now a hit single. Great lite-rock.

"Andromeda Liberata" by Andrea Marcon, etc. -- I almost never listen to classical music, but this medley of baroque duets thrills me. (At least, I think it's baroque. I should ask Andrew.)

"Something More" by Sugarland -- As you know, I was a hater. Now I'm a lover.

"Breathe (2 AM)" by Anna Nalick -- Overplayed now, but the lyrics are still lovely.

"Freedom Fighters" by The Music -- I'll say it again, you guys. PLEASE go listen to this band. Especially if you like The Killers and Franz Ferdinand.

"Don't Stop" by Lateef & the Chief -- This excellent bit of rap-soul is one of the most positive hip-hop songs I've heard in years. All about female empowerment, but also a reminder that women shouldn't treat all men like they're pigs. Plus, the flow is so damn smooth. (NOTE: If you're seeking this on iTunes, make sure you type "&" instead of "and")

"Mama's Room" by Under the Influence of Giants -- But you knew that already.

Worst iTunes Freebie

To be fair, I don't download the ones that sound like crap. But of the free songs I HAVE downloaded, the one with the shortest shelf life has been "Steady as She Goes" by The Raconteurs. Jack White, man. I love some of his stuff--the Loretta Lynn collaboration and the White Stripes' "White Blood Cells"--and some of it sounds hopelessly smug as it references earlier musical styles. This song sounds like it has massive air quotes around it... never a moment of genuine passion. That's okay for a few listens, but it wears out its welcome. Then it's back to the Pussycat Dolls for me! (Kidding.) (Kind of.) (Well, Pussycat Dalls in rotation with baroque classical.)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a horrifying picture of Jack White. I couldn't get into the Fray at all...I don't really see what all the buzz is about; on the other hand, I'm still enjoying the Raconteurs song (and album).

Mark, can our love surmount our musical disagreements? Can love triumph?

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Mark Blankenship said...

Carrie!

I believe that our love will survive. It's already so strong, you know?

And disagreeing on music is part of the reason "I Totally Hear That" exists. The world would be so boring if everyone thought the same songs were awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home