13 July 2007

Amy's Wisdom

I have been traveling all over the Northeast this week. After coming back from Maine, I left almost immediately for upstate New York, and on Sunday I'll be heading to rural Connecticut. The last two trips are business related, but hey... it all kind of feels like vacation.

Yesterday, as I was checking my voicemail before heading into a production of Shaw's "Saint Joan"--being performed at Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York--I heard a message from my friend Amy. You might remember her as the one who got up in Five For Fighting's grill.

Well, she's back with more thoughts on FFF's easy listening music, and her opinions this time may surprise you!

Rather than try to summarize it, I'm going to transcribe Amy's message in it's entirety. It's that awesome.

Read on and understand why I love her...

Received on Thursday, July 12, 2007:

"Hey, it's Amy! Just wanted to say hi. So I'm driving in Des Moines, Iowa, and this song by Five For Fighting came on. I think it's Five for Fighting, because it has that whiny voice. And I realized I've heard this song for a long time. It has the lyric like, "When you've only got a hundred years to live" or whatever, and I realized I never really liked the song until I saw it in this really, really sentimental Visa commercial.

And then I liked it.

Because it was showing this family going through different lines of credit and the different Visa cards they had. And the song was playing in the background. And I don't know why, but it made me think, 'Oh, how sweet! When they have kids they get the Disney Visa. And when they're old they have the AARP Visa. That's kind of cute.'

And you know how people complain when their favorite bands sell out and let their music be used in commercials? I'm realizing I don't really give a shit about Five For Fighting's integrity or anything, so I think their being used in commercials makes me like them more. Is that wrong? Does that make me wrong and consumerist?

That's all. Take care, sweetie!"

Plenty of good points in there, I'd say. Thanks, Amy!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home