14 December 2006

John Mayer Leaves Sucktown

I want ths blog to have integrity, so I must admit that after hearing samples of John Mayer's new album on iTunes, I do not hate it. He's still not rocking my entire world, but he seems to have grown beyond what I disliked in his first two albums. Now he's more like the musical love child of James Taylor and The Eagles, which isn't necessarily bad. (I sort of realized this a few months ago when I wrote about liking "Waiting on the World to Change," but even then I wasn't quite ready to believe.)

Therefore, I think The Grammys can be forgiven for nominating him. He's no longer a Sucktown Choice (though James Blunt still is). Now, he's the safe-bet choice who's new but sounds like a throwback. I'd say that ups his chance of winning. If Mary J.'s performance doesn't destroy him first.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger Liz said...

Glad to see you keeping up the integrity level around here. You should also check out his John Mayer Trio project, if your musical tastes include blues-y pop. Ok, now I'll stop being The John Mayer Advocate and go back to being Quiet Reader.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Margaux Lange said...

Long time hater of John Mayer, I must admit I do have one of his songs on my ipod - ever heard his acoustic cover of the radiohead song "Kid A?" Seriously worth checking out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home